What is a Dream Job Anyway?

Thursday, October 2, 2014

“There are two great days in a person’s life – the day we are born, and the day we discover why.” 
William Barclay

When we were little, we would always be asked what we wanted to do when we were older. Some adults asked out of curiosity to see what we had to say and some wanted to start predicting our life at that very moment.

I think I surprised my mother when I said I wanted to be a Singing Dentist. Both of those are now false as I can't sing a single note and the dentist and I never seem to see eye to eye (figuratively because of course when he's drilling Satan craters into my teeth were forced to make eye contact). I'm sure my parents were pleased with both of those answers because I would potentially make myself a lot of money one day. So when I was six that was my dream job.

As I got a little older, I wanted to be the general veterinarian (because I had just gotten a puppy), a dancer (because I was so elegant at 9) and moved up to a journalist (that's still partially true now).

Now that I am in college studying meetings and events in the hospitality field I know I am in the right spot. Who would've thought I wanted to be an event planner or project manager? I see myself at six years old never thought about that. As we grow older our interests change. My dream job now is to one day work for a corporation that puts on huge productions like new years eve parties or galas, save up from that career path and open my banquet hall so I can make every couple happily ever after come true.

The point is we all go through phases of what we want our dream job to be. Does anyone have just one thing they want to live and die doing? I haven't met anyone that dedicated to anything.


This brings me back to the original question, what is a dream job anyway?
Are you limited to just one? What if it was your dream job but come to find out it does not represent who you are at all!

Everyone wants to be an actor, or a baker (or I like to call them food testers), or a brewmaster (mainly for the men), but the reality is not everyone can be those things. We aspire to what will make us happy, and for a lot of us, money is what will make us happy. I know I'm shooting for that 6 figure salary, but I am also hunting for a job that allows me to see my family when I want too, travel the world, and provide a comfortable living.

A dream job is something that fits into all your little niches of life. It is a career that combines your talents and passions in a way that means something to YOU. This job is not going to be perfect, there will be people you don't like to deal with or tasks you shove off to the side for last, but the things that make the job so rewarding make up for those small concepts. Don't chase a trending industry or something that is piquing your peer's interest at this very moment. Find something that helps you, be a better you.


I'm usually not this sappy and motivational on my blog, but I think everyone has a right to know that they are the pilot in their own life. Your parents don't dictate your passions; your peers don't dictate your talents, why should they have a say in what you want to do with your life.

#blogtober14



Post a Comment

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.