Words You Should Never Say Because They Sound Awful

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Ever cringe when someone says a word that just doesn't sit right with you? I do. Honestly, I am probably the pickiest person when it comes to word usage. The older I get, the wiser I become, the more my vocabulary expands, and the more words I dislike. 

These are words You Should Never Say and then their replacements.

1. Moist: slightly wet; damp or humid.
This is probably the most disliked word in the English language. It doesn't roll off the tongue in any manner and it just sets wrong with my eardrums.

Try: Muggy or Damp

2. Chunks: mass, slab of something
Chunks is a bad word by association. "You'll blow chunks." "Why is this so chunky?" I just associate this word with something that tastes, smells and looks awful. It reminds me of bile and vomit. 
Try: Piece or Blocks

3. amazon: a member of a legendary race of female warriors believed by the ancient Greeks to exist in Scythia (near the Black Sea in modern Russia) or elsewhere on the edge of the known world.
Only when there is not a capital A in the beginning do I (or Judy for that matter...thanks for bringing this to my attention) not like this word. Amazon, like the shopping website, is perfectly fine, even the river I'm cool with that too. But describing someone as an amazon is the weirdest thing ever. I feel like I (or whoever) should be describing something beautiful but instead were supposedly describing a woman as manly and strong.
Try: Vixen or Termagant

4.Poop: I’m not talking about the structure at the stern of the vessel. 
What good is this word going to bring to the conversation? How did you make it this far into a conversation utilizing this word? Its so childish, immature, and uncomforting. 
Try: nothing else, this word or anything like it should not be used in a regular conversation.

5.Curd:a substance consisting mainly of casein and the like,obtained from milk by coagulation, and used as food or made into cheese.
Take a minute and just say this word out loud for me. C-U-R-D. It’s a weird one worded syllable word. It doesn't sound like a technical term, the inventor of this word was clearly not thinking in a professional manner.
Try: Clot (although that’s not much better) or Batch

6.Phlegm: the thick mucus secreted in the respiratory passages and dischargethe mouth, especially that occurring in the lungs and throat passages, as during a cold.
The definition is gross, the reality of this word is gross, and its gross spelling throws me off guard every time. This word right here is why people cannot learn our native English language.
Try: "Slime" or something along the lines of "There’s something stuck in my throat... Only if the world MUST know.

7. Lardthe rendered fat of hogs, especially the internal fat of the abdomen.
Lard means fat, and I can’t decide if fat or lard is a more grotesque. It reminds me of cow manure. It’s weird because words like "Yard," and "Card" are fine, but stick an "L" in front of those three letters and you've got yourself a take down. 


Try:Grease or Shortening

Post a Comment

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.