How to Make Your Own Mascara (It's Easier Than You Think)

Monday, February 24, 2020

mascara tips, mascara diy, mascara diy homemade, homemade mascara, make your own mascara, all natural beauty, all natural mascara, natural mascara

Seriously, I was on Sephora's website during the week of Black Friday, knowing full well I shouldn't be because I just bought ALL of my Christmas gifts that I needed. Of course, though, I am a huge fan of the buy one get one policy. You know, for every gift I buy someone else, I buy one for myself. Anyways, I digress.


I received the travel size version as a gift from a friend, liked it and wanted to upgrade to the bigger size. So, while I was browsing I found the brand I was looking for and it was $30! I don't spend that kind of money on makeup unless its foundation because that covers a majority of my face. Ugh, that is just so frustrating. 

Right then and there I exited out of my window and said I was going to start making my own makeup. Thus begins a very natural beauty journey for me. 

I have been going through an all-natural beauty health kick since the end of last year. I went to the doctor and had some things checked out and I made some serious lifestyle changes in order to improve my quality of life. 

Even things like makeup are threatening to the body. What is a girl to do?! That's when I started taking matters into my own hands. One product at a time I'm switching to all-natural beauty products to give my skin and hair the life it deserves.

Ingredients to make your own mascara

mascara tips, mascara diy, mascara diy homemade, homemade mascara, make your own mascara, all natural beauty, all natural mascara, natural mascara


I must admit, this was a frustrating homemade recipe to figure out. I tried a lot of different combinations before I finally found this one that I liked.


Black mineral powder - a mixture of soil-based minerals. You can use activated charcoal or black clay as well, but I prefer the texture with the mineral powder. One jar of mineral powder has enough to make 15+ batches of mascara. Talk about budget-saving.

Bentonite Clay – Helps the mascara dry and harden and not smudge.

Vegetable Glycerin– Makes the mascara smooth and adhere to lashes.

Aloe Vera– For texture and smoothness

Lavender Essential Oil – For scent and to help lashes grow

A clean mascara container - This one comes in a pack of three with all of the tools you will need (i.e. funnel, stopper, medicine dropper)

Tasting spoons - You just need something to help scoop the mixture into the mascara tube. Using the back end of the tasting spoon is how I managed. 

How to Make Your Own Mascara

Welcome to my DIY Channel. Please be sure to subscribe

  • 1/4 tsp black mineral powder
  • 1/4 tsp bentonite clay
  • 1/4 tsp (about 8 drops) vegetable glycerine
  • 1/2 tsp (plus more if needed) aloe vera gel

What to Do


  1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until completely smooth.
  2. Add more aloe vera gel if needed to get a smooth consistency.
  3. Carefully scoop into the medicine dropper with a spatula and slowly squirt into the mascara container.
  4. Use as you would regular mascara.

To remove: Use a washcloth with a vegan cleanser and warm water.

Let's say you don't want to do all of these steps to make some mascara. Girl, I've got you. I make mascara to order over on my Etsy shop. Click here and you can buy this all-natural mascara for $12! I follow the same recipe.

You are well on your way to your all-natural beauty routine! *applause* I would love to know what types of adjustments you make. All recipes will vary to the users liking. 

Happy blending!



mascara tips, mascara diy, mascara diy homemade, homemade mascara, make your own mascara, all natural beauty, all natural mascara, natural mascara

Post a Comment

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.