The Holiday Card for the Couple That Just Isn't There Yet

Friday, January 10, 2020



new couple christmas cards, new couples funny christmas card, couple holiday cards, in a relationship holiday cards, in a relationship christmas cards, not married holiday cards, not married holiday cards, not married couple holiday cards, not married couple christmas cards, couples christmas card ideas

I think society makes a big stink about when you can or cannot share a holiday card with someone, especially when you're a couple. It's a big step to share your relationship with all of your friends and family, however, unmarried couples are held to different standards than say a group of friends or set of roommates.


I got to thinking about my Christmas card for the year and I was at a total loss for what to send out. My boyfriend (Rob) and I have been together for over two years, and this year we made the move to move in together. That's a big step! Is it deemed "sharing a card" worthy? I guess that is ultimately for us to decide.

My inspiration search started off with "new couples Christmas cards." Well, all that got me was a bunch of the first year of marriage Christmas cards, although cute, not what I was looking for. My google search just kept getting longer and more specific, "couples Christmas cards that live together not married funny." I still was unable to find something for the couple that has been together but just might not be at the Christmas card phase.


new couple christmas cards, new couples funny christmas card, couple holiday cards, in a relationship holiday cards, in a relationship christmas cards, not married holiday cards, not married holiday cards, not married couple holiday cards, not married couple christmas cards, couples christmas card ideas

I send a Christmas card every year and this is the first time I've not had to consider just my boss babe self and what I want. I could just send another card with my face on it some stats about my life but, Rob is a very important person to me and I want to share him (and exploit him just a tad) with the world!


Here's the deal, we ended up sending separate cards.

However, these separate cards fit together like a puzzle. Thus, making us have one card if you looked hard enough!

Each card said "From the couple together enough for a Christmas card but individual enough to still have their own." but we both picked our little standard holiday greeting and decor elements. 


new couple christmas cards, new couples funny christmas card, couple holiday cards, in a relationship holiday cards, in a relationship christmas cards, not married holiday cards, not married holiday cards, not married couple holiday cards, not married couple christmas cards, couples christmas card ideas


I chose to say "Love, peace, and joy" with an ornament while Rob stuck with "Merry Christmas" and a wreath. Just individual enough yet still separate. There are plenty of other holiday captions you can insert too! 

It was actually Rob ho came up with the idea to pose in front of a Christmas tree. I was running around with the idea that we needed to get a photo that we could just split down the middle but it wasn't turning out the way I was envisioning. Rob suggested we both get in front of a Christmas tree and pose on opposite sides of the tree and then match up the ornaments in the photos. 
new couple christmas cards, new couples funny christmas card, couple holiday cards, in a relationship holiday cards, in a relationship christmas cards, not married holiday cards, not married holiday cards, not married couple holiday cards, not married couple christmas cards, couples christmas card ideas

new couple christmas cards, new couples funny christmas card, couple holiday cards, in a relationship holiday cards, in a relationship christmas cards, not married holiday cards, not married holiday cards, not married couple holiday cards, not married couple christmas cards, couples christmas card ideas

Huge shoutout to the Instagram Layout app. This app lets you line photos up next to each other to create a collage for a standard Instagram post. This lets us put the photos side by side and line up our ornaments or let us know if we needed to go back and reshoot because we lost the angle or the alignment.  

After nailing our photos (with some bloopers involved), I uploaded them to Canva and started designing. Canva is great because they have preset templates or you can just start from scratch! I picked the 4x6 size and went to town. After completion, I uploaded them to Vistaprint and when I received them we stuffed both cards into one envelope and they were sent out. I think for all of them it cost me about $18 + postage, so it was fairly inexpensive!  

This concept made more and more sense as we worked on it. If we break up,  all of our friends and family can just keep the card of the person they liked better and chuck the other one. Done deal. Okay, I know none of our family members would actually do that but it was funny for us to joke about.

After sending the cards out I became a little worried no one would get what we were trying to accomplish but I was SO wrong! I received multiple text messages from family and friends about how clever our cards were! I think it was because they were very original. There really hadn't been anything on the internet to compare too.









I wanted to share this idea with you all in case you are in a similar situation. I think there are a number of ways you could go about this Christmas card concept. Maybe you use a joke (kind of like your relationship, right? Haha kidding). One side has the beginning of a joke and the other card is the punchline! Or, maybe you use a photo that looks like you're pushing each other away or running to embrace one another. You can have a lot of fun with this. Im excited to see what you come up with! Please feel free to bounce ideas off of me in the comments below or via email! I'd love to see your card come to life!




new couple christmas cards, new couples funny christmas card, couple holiday cards, in a relationship holiday cards, in a relationship christmas cards, not married holiday cards, not married holiday cards, not married couple holiday cards, not married couple christmas cards, couples christmas card ideas

Post a Comment

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.