7 Simple Drinks to Order When You’re Feeling Indecisive at the Bar

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

what to order at the bar | ordering drinks | out with friends | bar life | mixed drinks | at the bar with friends

Alright, let's set the mood. It's Friday night, you're looking cute, and out with your friends at a local bar. The music is pounding, the conversation is flowing, and drinks are pouring when all of a sudden the bartender turns to you and asks that awfully baffling question:

"What do you want to drink?" 

Yikes.
This is one of my favorite questions, yet also the most dreaded if I am not prepared with an answer. Now the bartender, your companion, and everyone behind you in line are gawking at you, waiting on you to order your drink post haste! Why does this question pop up when we're the least bit prepared? I have no idea what I want to drink!

what to order at the bar | ordering drinks | out with friends | bar life | mixed drinks | at the bar with friends


Furthermore, what is it with bars not having menus? A girl likes to have options. I want to pore over all of the fun cocktails and maybe try something different for a change, but NO. I guess that is way too much to ask from a local tavern. I am responsible for creating my own liquid masterpiece and hastily at that.

So, when I am not given a cocktail menu to peruse, here are my top seven go-to drinks when I'm out at the bar:


what to order at the bar | ordering drinks | out with friends | bar life | mixed drinks | at the bar with friends

1. Tom Collins


I snagged this drink from That 70s Show. The characters were all standing around Foreman's living room drinking Tom Collins. It is made up of gin (or vodka), lemon juice, simple syrup, soda water, and a garnish (if they're fancy). I enjoy ordering Tom Collins because even though it is considered a classic, I've had a lot of bartenders question how to make it. You will want to be sure to remember the ingredients in case you need to give them a brisk lesson!

2. Vodka Soda with two limes

Simple and low calorie. I think each pour is right around 80 calories? Do not forget the two limes though. One to squeeze into your drink and one as a snack later.

Kidding.


Sweet tooth tip: This drink can be a bit of an acquired taste, but I've seen this mixed with a splash of orange juice if you would like to sweeten it up.

what to order at the bar | ordering drinks | out with friends | bar life | mixed drinks | at the bar with friends

3. White Ale's

"What white ales do you have on tap?" When it comes to beer, white ales are where it's at in my book. I'm over lagers, and I don’t like pale ales or IPAs. Plus, I don't want to be the girl that orders a Bud Light. I've found that white ales are a lighter version of beer that offer way more flavor, but nothing TOO hoppy. This is a choice beer for non-beer drinkers to indulge in. Plus, I think it gives you a bit more character when you order something besides a basic beer, like a Bud Light or Corona.

what to order at the bar | ordering drinks | out with friends | bar life | mixed drinks | at the bar with friends

4. Jameson and Ginger

There is a reason ‘whiskey makes you frisky’ is a saying. If you're looking to have a wild night, start off with a glass of whiskey ginger. Jameson is my personal preference because it goes down more smoothly with the ginger than a house whiskey does. As far as the ginger goes, you can ask for ginger ale or ginger beer, based on your own inclination. I try to stick with a brand name when it comes to whiskey because it does enhance the flavor.

Jack and Coke is another dynamic duo in the whiskey department.

5. Tequila Sunrise

In tequila we trust, am I right? This is a breezy tasty drink that anyone can sip on. It is made with tequila, orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed), grenadine and a maraschino cherry to top it off. This is definitely my go-to island holiday drink, but every once in a while I like to fantasize while I'm out at a local pub. Be careful though. Bartenders tend to make these strong, so pace yourself!

6. Chardonnay

Simple and classic. Ask for a glass of the house Chardonnay. Red wines can be tricky with flavors, tastes, and ages, thus white wine is an easier pick.

what to order at the bar | ordering drinks | out with friends | bar life | mixed drinks | at the bar with friends


7. Raspberry Vodka, with Sprite and two limes

If you're looking for something on the sweeter side, raspberry vodka is the way to go. Most bars typically don't have a well raspberry vodka though, so don't be surprised if you end up paying a little more for this sweet treat. However, the refreshing feeling you’ll get when you sip on this fruity cocktail is well worth the upcharge.


For you calorie counters, you can swap out the Sprite for club soda for a sweeter vodka soda mix.

Let's share our go-to drinks in the comments below so that the next time we are lingering at the bar we won't struggle with the age-old question, “What would you like to drink?”



what to order at the bar | ordering drinks | out with friends | bar life | mixed drinks | at the bar with friends

1 comment

  1. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. birra Flanders Red Ale

    ReplyDelete

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.