Starbucks Prices are Increasing and I'm Flipping My Lid About It

Monday, July 11, 2016








Today marks the day of much despair for basic white girls everywhere. Starbucks prices are increasing.  Get ready for my Venti sized vent because this is an outrage!  First gas prices go up and now coffee. HOW IS AMERICA SUPPOSED TO FUEL ITSELF?!

I’ll be the first to admit I do enjoy a grande green tea latte every now and again because I can’t justify the idea of spending $5.00+ on a drink that will last me maybe 45 minutes when I won't even spend $0.99 on an app that will last me a lifetime.

It is unbelievable that Starbucks feels the need to increase their prices again! This price change has occurred every summer since 2013.  Select drinks go up in price anywhere from $0.05 – 0.20 per drink. They are the leading coffee brand internationally, so why is this happening?

Despite the fact that coffee prices have been on the decline,  Starbucks drinks have only been marked up. Starbucks says the increase has been put into effect to cover rising wages, rent, and raw coffee prices.  As a frequent buyer in the coffee industry, little things like this upset me.

Don't get me wrong though. I get it. Starbucks is convenient, friendly, and offers a variety of drinks, but at what cost? It seems like I have to sell my soul just to get a caramel macchiato. As loyal customers, Starbucks knows we will give in. We will still purchase the drink even if it is $0.30 higher. Coffee habits are hard to break.

Because of practices like this, I have become an advocate for local coffee shops. They have just as much of a varied menu, a distinct feel, and can be as convenient as any Starbucks. To me, a great coffee shop is about great coffee and an experience to go along with it. While local coffee shops have the micromanagement to focus on these two things, Starbucks seems only to see the business side. You go in, you order, you go out. Coffee shops make you want to do more than just buy a coffee. I like curling up in a plush armchair with my laptop, a book, or even a conversation that lasts anywhere from fifteen minutes to two hours.

Regardless, I am still a sucker for the chain store. I still stop in because I live in a city that doesn’t allow me that kind of time in the morning. I know my order, and I know how long it will take.  Thirty cents might not seem like a lot now but over the course of six months it will add up, and my wallet will feel it. None the less, I will probably wake up tomorrow, late and have to rush out the door, swing by the drive-through and pay a little extra for that green mermaid on my cup. I am paying a premium price for premium convenience.



1 comment

  1. the convenience of Starbucks makes it hard to dismiss ... but I am SO with you on supporting local coffee shops. I guess sometimes I just don't want to seek them out, even though I know it would be worth it. I need to start trying harder!

    ReplyDelete

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.