Why October Makes No Sense

Thursday, October 15, 2015







This is my brother and me in various Halloween costumes. I have to hand it to my parents; they were pretty crafty.


So, I had a thought the other day while I was cleaning my desk off and I found my calendar, which I haven't marked on since May. Haha whoops. Anyways, it had a number ten up in the corner to indicate it is the tenth month of the year. That is odd considering the prefix "oct" means eight, yet it is month ten.


Let's assess this situation for a minute. I feel like the Gods who designed the calendar had a prime opportunity here they messed up. The phrase "you had one job," has been popping into my head the whole time I'm thinking about this. If "oct" means eight, why is October month ten!?


So I did what anybody would do...nothing.


Then the thought came back into my mind and then I did what anyone would do after they didn't do anything... went to the Internet.


I did not go to Wikipedia either.


In the olden days, there was a Roman calendar where October was the eighth month of the calendar. This calendar only had ten months total with 304 days in the year. The calendar started with 61 days of winter in unlabeled months and then begins March and ended with December, making October the eighth month. "Octo" makes a little more sense now, right? Then a couple of years later the second King of Rome Numa Pompilius added January and February, completing 12 months on the calendar. 


Considering this all happened between the years of 753 BC and 703 BC and the Romans were still trying to figure out the calendar, one could think they would rename the months, so some of them lined up. People were so used to October being in between September and November they didn't see the need to change the name. If the Romans went that route, then they would have to change December as well since "dec" means 10. If you apply the information stated earlier, you would understand December used to be the tenth month and the whole Roman calendar made so much more sense than the Gregorian calendar (current calendar we use today). 


If you have OCD, this could bug you. I'm not sure if you can change a calendar but I support where your logic is coming from. I hope I was able to shed some light on this dramatic situation. You probably did not even realize this until just now, so I'm sorry for putting it on your radar, but I knocked it right back off with an explanation at least!





Post a Comment

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.