Solo Travel: How to Travel On Your Own

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Solo travel, solo traveling for females, solo traveling, solo travel quotes, solo travel destinations, solo travel tips, solo travel USA, solo travel female, how to travel on your own

Travel alone but not lonely!

Going anywhere by yourself is an adventure, and I mean Anywhere. My first solo trip was to Salt Lake City, Utah. Literally an hour and a half flight away from where I live, but it was like a brand new experience.  Being a solo traveler is a way for you to get to the underbelly of tourist hotspots and discover all of the things YOU want to do and see.


If you're on the lookout for secret travel spots or places that tourists visit, going on a solo journey gives you the opportunity to explore these places and at your own pace. I know sometimes I want to spend longer somewhere or I find out something wasn’t as cool as I thought it was going to be and move along. However, when I’m with a group, I have to wait until we all kind of agree. But when I decide to travel solo, there are a few things that I needed to know and want to share with you!

Be Frugal Where It Counts

Solo travel, solo traveling for females, solo traveling, solo travel quotes, solo travel destinations, solo travel tips, solo travel USA, solo travel female, how to travel on your own

We need to open ourselves up to new experiences but we also don't want to completely blow our budget on the first couple of nights. Buying ahead of time has saved me a lot of money. There are not a lot of in-person deals when it comes to touristy things.  Do your research ahead of time and be on the lookout for price drops.

One time I was trying to plan a trip to the Galapagos Islands and there are numerous Galapagos special deals that I could have taken advantage of. I then realized I really didn’t have an interest in going to the Galapagos islands and diverted my money to another trip, ha-ha.

The main concept of this is that when you get to your destination, you've got more money in your pocket to enjoy at your discretion. Pay for as much as you can upfront so you don’t have to spend money except on food and any unplanned experiences. It takes me a day or two to really start spending money. I have to get the lay of the land with regard to my budget. I decide which things to spend more money on. Learning to be frugal with my accounts means that you will have more money in your pocket to enjoy the better things!

Get Cash and Exchange It


I always bring cash when I go out of the country and save my credit cards for absolute emergencies. I take out my entire budget in cash. For example, in New Zealand, I took out $500 U.S. dollars as spending money for my time there, exchanged it on a great exchange rate day, with a low fee attached to it, and received $750 NZ dollars. I took about $100 cash with me every day unless I was doing something extravagant and thought I would need more. This really helped me budget and limit the use of my credit card. Some cards have fees when you swipe your credit card internationally, and that’s just more money out of your pocket! 

PRO TIP: Never exchange money at the airport, there are so many fees!

Start saying "Yes!"

Solo travel, solo traveling for females, solo traveling, solo travel quotes, solo travel destinations, solo travel tips, solo travel USA, solo travel female, how to travel on your own

It will either be a good time or a good story. Say yes to your hotel's yoga class. Say yes to that cup of coffee. Say yes to that hike. Say yes to that invitation from the girl you just met down at the local pub. Traveling solo is already out of my comfort zone, so I try to take it a level deeper and start getting those experiences under my belt! The advantage of not being with a group is that I am more likely to say “yes” to whatever serendipitous encounter that comes my way.

Learn Some of The Lingo

Some people feel that they don't need to learn any of the languages because there are going to be signs in English. This is true but do not depend on this. There will be parts of the trip you might have to navigate on your own. The most trouble I tend to have this in the airport when I’ve landed at my new destination. Sometimes signs are in English but a lot of the times I have to figure it out. I suggest you spend like an hour or two looking up sign markers and a few basic sentences. Reading reviews on travel websites has been helpful too. People that have already navigated the tour you’re taking or the route you might be on could have some sound advice.

Most countries are incredibly forgiving if you are doing your best to get by in their native language. They will certainly appreciate it and they are going to be more willing to help you. Very rarely I find that by trying to speak in the native language that the people don't appreciate it, but this is definitely few and far between.


You Don't Have To Feel Lonely On Your Own

Solo travel, solo traveling for females, solo traveling, solo travel quotes, solo travel destinations, solo travel tips, solo travel USA, solo travel female, how to travel on your own

This is the hardest to do because you have to train yourself to unlearn "stranger danger." Listen to your gut, but also don't be afraid to strike up conversations with others. You may very well feel that going solo can be an isolating experience. Ultimately it's as lonely as you decide to make it. I either book a bunch of tours or make up my own. I’ll Google maps the area I’m in and look up reviews or their social media and decide if its worth it for me to check out. Sometimes I make friends along the way, and I especially do on tours! That’s where the bulk of my conversation comes from. As soon as I book onto a tour, I am in a group of people and I can find the one or two solo travelers that are looking for short-term friendships.

I make small talk with my bartender and my waitress, but that’s mostly me asking for suggestions. But I never have to feel lonely on my own. As soon as I go into a hotel or find somewhere that people are gathering, there is no harm in striking a conversation up with someone. If they're not receptive, I try someone else.


Always keep a couple friends updated on your whereabouts

If you have an iPhone, send your location to a few different people. That is always the best advice. My friends and I, when we were deep in the dating stages, we ALWAYS checked in with one another. We told them where we were going and if you don't hear from me by this time, call me. Or something to that effect. The same concept applies when I am traveling solo. I let people know via text where I am headed, and they also have my location loaded into their phones. I do daily check-ins and it hasn't failed me yet.  

In order to make the most of solo travel, you can do so much. But ultimately if you really want to enjoy yourself, you've got to do the things you want! You also have to remember that solo travel is about getting out of your comfort zone. It won't be perfect all the time but you will come back having learned so much.





Solo travel, solo traveling for females, solo traveling, solo travel quotes, solo travel destinations, solo travel tips, solo travel USA, solo travel female, how to travel on your own


Post a Comment

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.