The Key Superfoods You Should Definitely Add To Your Diet ASAP

Wednesday, April 11, 2018


Ever been stuck in that rut of weight loss or fitness goals that you just can’t seem to get passed? Same. I’ve been trying to fit back into my Lucky Jeans Lolita Skinny’s from two years ago and I just can’t seem to get the booty into them jeans. I had to ask myself, WHAT GIVES?!


I read somewhere that weight loss goals are achieved through a mixture of healthy eating habits and working out. 20% of results came from consistent working out and 80% came from a healthy diet. Well, that seemed extreme, but hit home a little bit for me because I’ve been consistently going to the gym 4-5 times a week since the beginning of the year. I noticed some results about four weeks in but I have been stuck in this limbo of not losing any weight for the past month and a half. That was when I really cracked down on my diet and took away a lot (not all) of the fun stuff. I allow myself to indulge in my cracker habit but everything else is all superfoods and now I’m finally noticing results. I can fit into my jeans again! Too bad its summer, but still, this is a celebratory moment.

What worked for me was what all of the Instagram models would call superfoods. A superfood is a food that is rich in nutrients and is considered to be beneficial for well-being and health. These are the sorts of foods that you definitely want to be adding to your diet. This is even more exciting because there are hundreds of superfoods and recipes online! Holla at your Pinterest boards. Sometimes I was a little overwhelmed with how many options I had and didn’t know what foods to add to my diet. I like to think I’ve narrowed it down for you a bit.
Quinoa – Pronounced ‘keen-wa,’ just so we're all on the same page. Quinoa provides an excellent wheat-free alternative to starchy grains. Quinoa is a great superfood. It has a high content of manganese and riboflavin (B2) which helps with growth and body repair by assisting in breaking down foods properly. It is also rich in magnesium, contains lysine and iron, as well as having twice as much fiber as other grains. It is also one of the most protein-rich foods you can incorporate into your diet. Great meat substitute for my vegan and vegetarian friends!

Cinnamon – I have a sweet tooth so I have to accommodate that somehow. Cinnamon has a number of life-enhancing, kick-ass components that make it one of the most valuable spices you can sprinkle into your meals. Cinnamon allows the body to not store as many empty calories and regulate it through the body promoting a faster metabolism! Your slow-moving, adult-like organs will thank you. This spice also lowers bad cholesterol, improves brain function, and soothes your stomach.

Raw honey – Uh Huh Honey. Honey is a delicious superfood that you should definitely add to your diet. Raw honey is the route you want to go. Brands like Go Raw Honey have an impeccable selection. Not only can honey help to soothe a sore throat, especially with allergy season among us, but it can also assist with digestive issues. Plus, raw honey is filled with phytonutrients which is a fancy word for disease prevention. Honey is the holy grail of injuries because not only is it sweet but it assists with healing wounds, has antifungal and antibacterial properties, as well as being an excellent source of antioxidants. Not sure why there’s not a superhero named after Honey. Honey Hero? Heroic Honey? Honey Hottie--- my kind of hero ;).

Almonds – Even though I cannot physically indulge in these, I had to put them in here because they contain so many kick-ass qualities. Almonds are a great snack to keep your energy levels up. (Pro Tip: Give your boss a bag of almonds as a midafternoon treat when they’re cranky and they will perk right up.) One reason why you should incorporate almonds into your diet is that this nut is actually the richest source of calcium out all nuts, providing 23 mg of calcium in just one serving. Almonds also are a great source of protein, as well as giving you a good dose of vitamin E.

So there you have it: Jordan’s shortened list of superfoods when you’re presented with an atrocious amount of options. You don’t need to make a lot of changes to add some of these foods that have to your diet. After all, you can drizzle some honey on top of plain yogurt for a healthy breakfast, or add it to your cups of tea. Quinoa is a nice addition to salads, and almonds are a great snack to keep you and your boss) going throughout the day at work.








The Key Superfoods You Should Definitely Add To Your Diet ASAP


DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.