500 Words on Tattoos

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

TOO INK, OR NOT TO INK?


I’ve been stuck in this limbo for a good while now. This millennial generation is really into tattoos, because over 45 million Americans have at least one tattoo, and a third of the American population alone has been inked in there late teens early twenties, which is cool. I think the fact were allowed to have freedom of expression on our bodies is a righteous move for politics and society.  Another part of me still thinks that our bodies are not for tattoos and that we should utilize other forms of expression, something not so permanent.
            Aside from being from a family which none of them have tattoos, I was raised on the Lutheran faith so Christianity has a huge impact on my life. The bible says “You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you; I am the Lord.” (Leviticus 19:28) To me, this means that you shouldn’t get tattoos because your body is a temple and just like you wouldn’t, at least you shouldn’t, graffiti a church (a.k.a. temple) you shouldn’t tattoo your body. How far does that go though? When I was in middle school we would write notes on each others hands in pen and draw on our skin, how does that play into the scenario? Granted, I am not a person without sin. I am only human and I do my fair share of disappointing.  To go along with that, the tattoo I want does not have super deep meaning to it. Some people only get tattooed because a tragic moment happened in their lives and they use ink as a memory here as mine would serve as a little bit of my life but also a cute design on my shoulder blade. Also, I am one of those people who does not want ink in my wedding photos or major life event photos. “Well why not just get it after that?” Because I’ll probably be about 27 and not sure if I want it anymore. I want a tattoo now because it would be a symbol of my twenties going on forever. The fact that I might nt want it later is really sticking with me because that’s a good reason to not get one now.
            On the contrary, I do want a tattoo. This would be evidence to remind me everyday of what young freedom looks like. This tattoo would be there because I put it there.  Nonetheless, if I were to get this tattoo it would be one of a kind, because that’s what tattoos should be, meaningful and different. Refer to my post “The Tattoo I Don’t Have” if you want to know what I would do. There are many reasons not to get a tattoo, and some of you re probably thinking, “Wow, Jordan. You’re really over thinking this, it’s just a tattoo.” To you it may be, but to me, if something is permanently going to be attached to my body, I want it to be something that I will understand fifteen to thirty years from now. This should be a story to tell people, not just “I got it because I liked it.” I want this for me because it describes my free spirit, my faith life, and my destination. I like to think of myself as a creative individual and I think everyone should be able to express themselves in anyway they can. We were all created individual and we should all be able to show off our unique flavors. Your body is a canvas, leave it blank or tell a story.

Post a Comment

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.