7 Things I Learned Living On My Own

Wednesday, August 16, 2017





Independency comes with some life lessons that I have to figure out on my own, or with my trusted sidekick YouTube. I've become my best do-it-yourselfer than ever expected and I owe it all to living on my own. Some things I expected, others, no one could have prepared me for. What I do know is there are no rules except: do whatever the hell I want.



It is impossible to shop for one.

I have become the queen of throwing stuff out. I feel like I'm always eating but somehow all my food still goes bad? Sorry bank account, I got carried away at Sprouts and was unable to keep up my end of the bargain.


You don't know independency until you have to pay beyond a co-pay.

A co-pay is just for regular routine check-ups, but if I need actual work done, that is another ball game. Choosing to pay upwards of $250+ on a root canal when Nordstrom is having a sale is the defining moment of being an adult.




You find out how dirty your habits are willing to get.

How long can I leave this takeout container on my coffee table? Is opening the door without pants on THAT bad? Not leaving the couch for 3 days at a time has got to be some kind of record, right? Not to mention you probably do everything naked on a consistent basis. Could be a laundry faux pas, could be pure laziness. No shame in your nakey game.




No questions, no explanations.

You are your own ruler. No one is here to ask you where you're going, or when you will be home, or judge what loose state you walk through the front door in. OR maybe your Friday night consists of some pasta, a bottle of Stella Rose and some trash TV. At the end of the day, no one really cares because it is JUST you. Having the ability to come and go as you please is what freedom is all about.




You learn to cook real food.

When I say cook I actually mean you become self-sufficient enough to answer the door when your post-mates driver arrives. Honestly though, when you cook you feel unstoppable. No one can question your sense of independence because you have the ability to prepare a damn meal for yourself. At the same time, if you don't feel like cooking or answering your door and calling a bag of kettle corn dinner is enough for you, that is your right.



You understand what you're TRULY afraid of.

Seriously, it is just me, myself, and I, and possibly a spider or two that I cannot justify calling someone in a different zip code to come take care of.  Have no fear, I am here.


You have a love-hate relationship with others.

I typically like being by myself but I do catch myself wishing for some company every now and again.  I like being able to decide what is playing on the TV, what temperature the air is set to, and not worrying about someone eating my leftovers. At the same time, it's not the same to drink a bottle of wine by yourself. Talking to yourself kind of gets old after a while as well.


DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.