Globetrotting Guru: Travel Hacks for Those on a Budget

Wednesday, November 9, 2016




As I'm sitting here on a plane with a guy jamming his knees into my seat, sitting too close to people I don't know, and with 10 shirts jammed into my carry on, it dawned on me; this is how I travel on a budget. No one said it was glamorous, but it is definitely manageable. 
Whenever I tell people I am jetting off to some new place, they typically ask two questions...

1. Why there?

2. How do you travel so much? 

I'd like to address these in a more in depth way as they both go hand in hand to traveling on a budget.

Why there?

A lot ties into this question. I usually respond with a casual "why not," which is not far off from the actual truth. I want to see as many places in the world as I can. People say life is short but I say life is long if you experience it in a curious manner. 

My answer could be influenced by various outlets. 
-my friends wanted to go and I wanted to tag along
-I read an article about a bakery they have there, and I want to check it out ( I will go to the ends of the earth for some baked goods)
-flights were stupid cheap
-it's on my dream draft 

I have goals. One includes getting ten stamps in my passport by the time it expires. That is in five years and I currently have 4 going on 5 and 6 in 2017.  If I picked my destination for every one of those stamps I'd clear my savings by the third sticker. Which leads me to my next point...



How do you travel so much?

I used to say "I want to go here," and I would go, but there was no way I could keep that lifestyle up working part time at $10 an hour, so I explored new options. I approached traveling in a different manner.

You don't pick the destination. The destination picks you. Every travel spot is going to have an off season. That is when they will have the best deals to go to to said destination. You may want to go to Turks and Caicos but I would wait until February when the holiday buzz has settled down and spring break is approaching. Otherwise, you're going to pay premium price to go at a premium time. 



Travel in packs. Friends, groups, and family are the best way to travel. Although it is not as efficient because you have to accommodate more than one person, it will cut your spending in half. Get yourself a travel buddy. By splitting hotel and food costs you can significantly reduce your payout. 

Look for packages. I'm not talking about the ones on your front porch; a travel package. A lot of people think booking one way flights with multiple stops will save them money. Those people are not wrong BUT the time you spend hassling with all of that makes the savings not worth the trouble. I like to look on Priceline, Groupon, and Expedia for vacation deals. Typically, for a few extra dollars more you can book your hotel, flight, and transportation directly. You're still saving money and doing so with less headaches. Tourism is a year-round gig, somewhere a travel spot needs more globetrotters running around and they're willing to cut prices in half to do so.

Don't wait. Coming from someone who lives an airline life full of regret, all I can say is if you see prices that make you say "Whoa, thats cheap," book it. Chances are the prices will go up before they go down, and IF they do go down it won't be by much (plus most websites offer price matching if you find a better price). Seems like a win-win right? It is. Take advantage of it. I'm an avid Hopper user. It tracks flight prices for you and notifies you when they rise or fall. 




I am a travel advocate. Why would mother nature give us the Seven Wonders of the World if she didn't want you to see them? Why would we be required to take geography if we weren't supposed to familiarize ourselves with other cultures? Why would God give us two legs if we weren't supposed to move with them?

As you can see, there really is no big secret. Being thrifty with your money and wise with your time are the ultimate factor to a great lifestyle of travel. It might take a little extra time and effort to get it right but this is one of those things in life you can count on paying off. 

Do you have any great tips on travel? Please share them in the comments below, if not for other readers, for me!

Be sure to follow me on social media for more travel fun! 

Connect with me across the internet!

Subscribe to my blog: http://eepurl.com/djv0Tj





26 comments

  1. This article is something that will help me with my class assignment. It helped me to better understand another aspect of this topic. Thanks. Shaheen airlines flight status

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest of the Story: Travel advantage bundles are certainly not all equivalent! For example, one travel organization's protection scope may not begin until 30 days after you have started your task versus a strategy offered by another organization that ends up successful the principal day at work. These and various other "little print" concerns can cause issues down the road for you in case you're ill-equipped!campers for sale in missouri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another motivation to consider these spots is that they will regularly enable you to have full administration. This full administration could incorporate room benefit, somebody to convey our packs, or even a tidy up benefit anytime when you have a need of something within your room.warsaw missouri hotels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Additionally, despite everything we don't know whether January 1, 2016 will be the date of the prerequisite or will it be later? In light of this law, the identification preparing time for all will be influenced. marrakech desert trips

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, in the entirety of my travels I've understood the idea of steady, predictable, perpetual travel isn't right for pretty much anybody. For the majority of us, travel is an extraordinary affair and not the lifestyle we want for our everyday presence.podcaster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Climate in southeastern Tibet including Nyingchi and Chamdo is balmy with an average temperature of eight degrees centigrade; while in western Tibet (Shigatse and Nagqu) is quite cold with an average temperature below zero degree. hajj packages,

    ReplyDelete
  7. The key effect of this is to remember that the organizations giving travel administrations to business voyagers need to improve their attention on security and the related dangers in conveying the administrations to corporate customers. Kerala Tourism

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has turned out to be basic to keep up that the travelers have the best degree of profitability on each outing. travel to the Caribbean

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you have the side effects of elevation disorder, take some drug (it is said that it's useful to have some margarine tea on the off chance that you can adjust to its kind) and don't go higher. Cairo Hotels

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a large number of decisions with regards to travel goals. Some are all the more intriguing that others and some are somewhat irregular.Homestay murah melaka

    ReplyDelete
  11. A few people travel frequently in light of find cheap hotel rooms the fact that it is an aspect of their responsibilities prerequisites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. With individuals, with their way of life, sentiments and thoughts likewise travel. When they go from one spot to the next spot, they will undoubtedly meet individuals and offer their considerations and encounters with them.how to drive a car step by step pdf

    ReplyDelete
  13. All things considered, today traveling has turned out to be entirely simple, with great correspondence framework creating nonstop.car service paris

    ReplyDelete
  14. My preferred piece of Canada/USA for experience travel must be Northern BC/Alaska, to climb the Chilkoot Trail in the means of the goldseekers of 1898.렌터카 쿠알라룸푸르

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Butrint is like a small world of history. With a breathtaking view and an amazing nature you almost feel like you belong there. Travel Albania

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a rule, they'd disclose to you that they'd travel some place, yet they'll as a rule line that up with the reasons why they don't really travel.updated blog post

    ReplyDelete
  18. A momentary traveler will probably plan out the whole trip to the day and pre book. A long haul hiker won't should be so accurate with their travel designs as time isn't such an issue and their travels will for the most part develop as they go.motels in hays ks

    ReplyDelete
  19. The best time to book is about three weeks before you fly. If you're going to be using rail travels look into tickets which give you multiple journeys or discount tickets like the Eurorail Pass if your travel & leisure destination is in Europe.Travel Classified Ads

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing travel hacks. Now, I am able to travel on budget. Early booking can also help you in saving a lot of money.
    cheap park and ride Birmingham
    cheap park and ride Luton

    ReplyDelete
  21. Travel agents can book hotels in advance. You should ask your travel agent to book a hotel well in advance to avoid last minute hassles.discover athens

    ReplyDelete
  22. Travelling is one activity that every individual must undertake at one time or the other; it does not matter what the purpose of travel is, or whether the travel is local or international.cost of a disney vacation

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking forward to more interesting travel posts like this one.
    Coronavirus outbreak"

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just wanted to say I love reading your blog. as we provide British Virgin Islands Holidays at affordable prices. for more info visit our website.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A terrific option is to make use of a travel management company (TMC). Working with a collingwood ski chalets for sale TMC means acquire an experienced travel management asset that is a devoted travel manager.

    ReplyDelete

DAILYCUPOFJOJO © . Design by Berenica Designs.